Sunday, August 5, 2012

What I have found on Facebook as the user and the blogger (Part I)


Before being the user on Facebook, I have been writing the stories on my blog, howto-i.blogspot.com (howto information). To increase the number of readers for my blog causes me to think about the promotion with the social networks such as Facebook, Tweeter, etc. And when I have decided to play in the field of Facebook, I start reading the book to know what features are in Facebook and how I can use them.  Following the book, I have my own account and my own page named “Surinee1” and “SurineePage” respectively. All Surinee1 relating processes have been done from sign up with the preliminary information, Email confirmation, and friend finder to the last step of the profile information and the profile photo. And then, Surinee1 moves towards SurineePage, my page of Facebook. Now it is the time that I would like to share the following story from what I have found on Facebook as the user and the blogger.                              


This photo is the one of the several stories for sharing

Finding one: Give the right usernames for Facebook Account and Facebook Page

It is not too difficult to have the username for Surinee1 account which is the personal account as I only think about something similar to my Facebook account.

However, when I choose the username for my Page which can contain my blog and other applications or other URLs, I hesitate to determine SurineePage or howto-i as the username of my Facebook Page. SurineePage is similar to Surinee1 of which friends can easily remember the name of Page while another username of howto-i is my blog’s name. I finally go with SurineePage that is much easier for my friends to get used to it, although howto-i is best for the blog’s name awareness. Apart from our name awareness, we might think about the name in search on the search bar but it should be relevant to our product or purpose.



>>Go to Account Settings at the top right menu of Facebook Account > General

>>Go to Admin Panel >> Edit Page at the top right menu of Facebook Page> Update Info > Basic Info

Finding Two: Effect on the features beneath the post due to the subscriptions for Facebook Account

The features of like comment and share are normally seen beneath the post. But sometimes we do not see all features altogether. This is due to the settings in the subscribers. If we don’t allow people other than friends to subscribe to our public updates, non-friends can see only share beneath our post. Although we are on for Subscribers, we can limit the ones who can comment. So those non-friends will see like and share without comment beneath our post.





>>Go to Timeline > Update Info > Dropdown menu at the top left > Subscriptions in case of no Subscribers at first > Allow Subscribers > Subscribers > Settings

Finding Three: Modify share on our own timeline versus Modify share on the other’s timeline for Facebook Account

We can control who can see our post on our own timeline via audience selector: Public, custom etc. Additionally we can deliver our post to the other’s timeline: friend’s timeline or in a group, etc. and the audience is variably changed to the receiver’s privacy settings (Timeline and Tagging)  if the original post is set as public sharing.


>>Select share under post > On our own timeline > Audience Selector menu (at the right next to each thing share): Public, Friend, etc.


>>Select share under post > Change in On our own timeline menu > On a friend’s timeline or In a group, etc. (No Audience Selector)



Note: However, the the post’s privacy settings which are restricted by the original owner will prevent us from sharing the post to the other’s timeline.

Finding Four: Who sees our likes for Facebook Account?

Likes under the cover photo have the edit button to select our audience so we can control who can see our likes. Apart from the privacy settings of likes under the cover photo, the privacy settings of our comment or our like to the original post are the ones of the original post. And the original post can be ours or others.


 >>Go to Likes under the cover photo > Edit  to change the audience
 If the original post is ours >>Go to Privacy Settings at the top right menu > Control your default privacy for post: Public, Friend, Custom


We can also change our default privacy settings at the dropdown list before the button of “post” and beneath our update post.

Finding Five: Like Page to be a fan or like Page’s post

There are different likes between like Page and like Page’s post. If we click the like button next to the Page’s name, we will be the fan on that Page and the Page can connect us when it has the updates. If we click like beneath the Page’s post, we only express our like to the Page’s post and the Page cannot connect us via this like.

>>Go to the Page we like > Click Like next to the Page’s name

The findings on this post are more for the Facebook Account and next time I will present the rest which should be more for the Facebook Page. Hope that this post can give you some guides.


No comments:

Post a Comment