Saturday, January 19, 2013

List of the subordinate conjunctions and their example sentences


I write this post in connection with the brief of sentence structures and as I mentioned in my previous post of List of conjunctive adverbs and their example sentences. Subordinate conjunction, in addition to the conjunctive adverb, is the second type I want to memo onto my blog and share with you.

For more information, the dependent clause is the subordinate clause and the subordinate clause can be the adverbial clause or the adjective clause or the noun clause (also known as nominal clause). However those clauses have the different functions: the adverbial clause functions like adverb in the sentence while the adjective clause functions like adjective in the sentence and the noun clause functions like noun (subject, object and complement, etc.) in the sentence.

Again, the adverbial clauses are after the subordinate conjunctions and function like adverbs to indicate time, condition, purpose, reason, result, contrast, place, manner and degree.  Accordingly, the list of subordinate conjunctions and their example sentences will be categorized upon their indicating in my writing.
Adverbial clause of Time
When, before, after, since, while, as, until, till, as soon as, whenever, once, by the time
Dan was eating when the doorbell rang. (Main cl: past cont+ when cl: past simple)
When the light went out, I lit some candles. (Nearly the same time)
I feel fresh when I wake up early in the morning. (every time)
I will phone you when I arrive. (planning)
As the cheese matures, its flavor improves. (change in two things at the same time )
I went shopping while/as he was cleaning the house. (Longer actions)
By the time I arrive, the shop will already have closed.
The shop had already closed by the time we got there.
After running five miles around the track, Henry was much too tired to go to basketball practice.
I will teach you till you understand.
I taught you until you understood.
She has played game since she was young.
Before I wake up, my mother finishes her cooking.
We (will) go out to dinner as soon as/once he finishes his homework.
Whenever she writes the book, I buy it.

Adverbial clause of condition
If, unless, provided that, supposing that, even if, whether or not, in case, only if, in the event that
They won't be able to pay for it whether or not they have enough money.
Whether they have money or not, they won't be able to pay for it.
Unless I finish my writing, I won’t go to bed.
If I were a millionaire, I would travel around the world. (unreal)
I will buy some more food in case you come.
I will take the umbrella in the event that it rains.
We'll give you your bicycle only if you do well on your exams.
Only if you do well on your exams will we give you your bicycle. (only if begins the sentence)
Even if she works hard, she won’t be a millionaire. (Even if VS If)
If she works hard, she will be a millionaire.
He will be allowed to go to the zoo, provided that his homework is finished in time.
Supposing that you pass the examination with the high score, I will buy the computer for you.

Adverbial clause of contrast
Although, though, even though, while, whereas
She works hard while he works smart.
His brother works indoor whereas he works outdoor.
Although the traffic was bad, I arrived on time.
I arrived on time though the traffic was bad.
Even though I was really tired, I couldn’t sleep at all.

Adverbial clause of reason
Because, since, as, as long as (because), now that, inasmuch as
Because she works hard, she can finish her work in time.
I have to wake up early since my travel trip is scheduled at 6 a.m. sharply.
As Samson blew out the birthday candles atop the cake, he burned the tip of his nose on a stubborn flame.
Now that Maria has earned enough money, she can finally buy the concert tickets.
I don’t care who you are as long as you love me.
Inasmuch as the students had successfully completed their exams, their parents rewarded their efforts by giving them a trip to Paris.

Adverbial clause of purpose
In order that, so that
They had to take some of his land so that they could extend the churchyard.
 I have to earn more money in order that I can buy that car.

Adverbial clause of result
So…that
My suitcase had become so damaged on the journey home that the lid would not stay closed.

Adverbial clause of place
Where, wherever
I found the interesting book where I went shopping.
Wherever you are, I will be there.

Adverbial clause of manner
As, as if
I write this post as I mentioned in the previous post.
She played game as she planned.
He spent as if he were the rich man. ( past tense "were" to emphasize "not true")
He spends as if he were the rich man. (In fact, he is not the rich man.)

Adverbial clause of degree
as…as, than
He drives the car as fast as the lightning flashes.
He will arrive by car earlier than his friend will arrive by train.

To gain more ideas, we will raise the certain conjunctions like that, whether and if (called expletives) to make the subordinate clauses. These subordinate clauses are the noun clauses because of their functions of subject, object, complement and appositive.
That you are beautiful, is not beyond my expectation. (subject)
I wonder whether you will come.  (direct object)
The fact that the sun is the center of the solar system is true. (appositive)
The fact is that the sun is the center of the solar system. (complement)
I told him that the house was so expensive. (direct object)
I don’t know if it is the required answer. (direct object)


My references:
http://grammar.yourdictionary.com
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Esl.about.com
Forum.wordreference.com
www.chompchomp.com

2 comments:

  1. He spent as if he were the rich man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I am going to correct them. I've not been back for a long time.

      Delete